Friday, April 12, 2013
Prime Evil Interview
1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
PRIME EVIL is currently finishing up the writing for our first full length album that we plan to start recording in May.
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new recording and how it differs from previous releases?
As far as overall production sound, we feel it is the best that we have ever released. Concerning the songs; I have continued writing foe PRIME EVIL since we disbanded in 1992, so they are a natural progression to where we should be...heavier, faster, & sicker!
3. When I listened to your music I hear alot of early traces of death metal while the music was still thrash,
do you feel that you have influenced alot of the early death metal bands that popped up during the early 90's.
I don't know if we had any influence on any bands, but we met the guys in Suffocation and Incantation at our shows before they had started. We became and remain good friends with them.
4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the newer music?
We write about a lot of different topics, but some are how Catholicism is based on a lie; the archaic rites of all religions; the evil tendencies of mankind; bludgeoning your enemies; blood mutations; etc...
5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
Our vocalist Andy came up with the name. It was taken from the word primeval, which basically, means ancient. Andy changed the word, making it two words, and respelled the ending of the word to Evil. Thus, we have PRIME EVIL - meaning the ultimate evil; which is mankind. PRIME EVIL is true, real, pure evil!
6. The band was broken up for a long time what was the cause of the split and decision to reform?
We disbanded in 1992 basically because we were young, broke, and we didn't have any record label to back us. We pretty much hit a brick wall back then. In 2010, the Metal Underground documentary book GLORIOUS TIMES was published, and that is what got all of us together for the first time in 18 years. It was then that we decided we were able to complete PRIME EVIL's journey, with or without label backing.
7. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
The best shows so far have been with Mausoleum and Funerus in Poughkeepsie, NY; Deceased & Derketa in Brooklyn, NY; our first night of the 'Enter the Evilution' tour with Midnite Hellion in Philly; 'A Day of Death' in Buffalo, NY; and Metal Thunder Radio's live broadcast concert with Malignancy and Sacrificial Blood in Brooklyn, NY. Our stage performance could best be described as energetic and violent!
8. Do you have any touring plans for the future?
Yes! We are currently putting together a US tour to follow the recording of our album. So far we are booked on the Wermacht East Coast Tour in August, and we are playing the NYDM 10th Annual on August 17th in Long Island, NY
9. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the newer material and reunion by fans of death and thrash metal?
Worldwide we have had very good feedback. We seem to have a pretty loyal fan base that we are extremely appreciative of!
10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
The ONLY direction for us is forward! Always, heavier, always faster, always sicker!
11. What are some bands and musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I guess some bands that have influenced me would be Carcass, Macabre, Napalm Death, Fear Factory, and Goatwhore as well as most Death Metal, Black Metal, Grindcore, and Jazz fusion. Besides the bands I just mentioned, I also listen to Immolation, Cannibal Corpse, Sick Feet Under, Amon, Incantation, Funerus, Suffocation, Dying Fetus, Gutbucket, Abnormality, Atheist, Watchtower, Goreaphobia, Tortured Existence, Belligerence, and so many more!
12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Outside of music....pretty much just my family. Besides writing and playing, I love to record! I've been building up my own studio slowly.
13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
I appreciate your interest in our band. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to tell you about PRIME EVIL. It is your support of Metal, and that of all the fans, that has kept it alive! For more info on us, visit our official web site atwww.primeevil.net HAILZ!